Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Life...Love...Anti-depressants????

As the adrenaline pumps through my blood stream and my mind is fuzzy with excitement, I am sitting here blogging. There's something to be said about the advancements in technology over the last 17 years of my life, specifically about the capabilities for basically the entire world being able to read my thoughts as i record them on the world wide web...world wide indeed.
Anyways, about the mission trip. Ive been told my entire christian life to serve. But what does that mean? To open a door for an old lady?...to leave an extra big tip for a waiter?...or maybe to put 10% of your monthly wages into the offering plate on Sundays? I don't think so. Service isn't about whats easy to do...its about what needs to be done. You think that old lady couldn't open the door herself...or that the waiter will even notice the extra 50 cents in his pocket...or that the church would fall apart and the christian religion would forever be changed because you added a little to the collection plate. Nope! Now that can be service but its really a question more of motivation. Why are you doing what you are doing? Ive thought long and hard about my motivation for coming on this trip. And im also not 100% sure that my motivation was correct when i put down my deposit for this trip...or rather my mom put down the deposit i guess. But after the first day and after i collapsed on my bed from exhaustion my mind began to wonder. Sure i thought this trip was going to be fun. But if i thought it would be boring and grueling, not that it is but hypothetically, would i still have come? Would you have?...I guess that where the question of benefits comes into play. We start to ask ourselves what WE get out of our service instead of what OTHERS do. And thats when the idea of service is depleted and it becomes something else entirely...something terrible.
TARA MOFFATT

No comments:

Post a Comment